fēnix® 5X Sapphire - Slate Grey
(Pre-loaded with SEA maps and 40,000 golf courses)
Multisport GPS Watch with Full-Color Map Guidance
- Ultimate multisport GPS watch with full-color TOPO U.S. mapping, routable cycling maps and other outdoor navigation features
- Fit for adventure with rugged design that features stainless steel bezel, buttons and rear case
- Built-in navigation sensors include GPS and GLONASS capability to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone as well as 3-axis compass, gyroscope and barometric altimeter
- Put key stats at your fingertips with the performance widget that shows your training status, training load and more
- Connected features² include smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect™ online fitness community and personalization through free watch faces and apps from our Connect IQ™ store
- Battery life: up to 12 days in smartwatch mode (depending on settings), up to 20 hours in GPS mode or up to 50 hours in UltraTrac™ battery saver mode
For serious athletes and adventurers who want to do more, not wear more – fēnix 5S is the perfect fit. It’s our premium multisport watch that offers full-size performance in a lighter, sleeker, more compact design. So you can beat yesterday with advanced features such as wrist-based heart rate¹, built-in activity profiles, navigation functions, and performance metrics that measure the effectiveness of your workout. It’s one smart sportwatch you can comfortably wear anywhere – office or outback – to keep pace with your active lifestyle.
Combining world-class performance with the best features of our fitness and outdoor watches, fēnix 5X is the premiere multisport training companion. It’s the first fēnix series watch to offer full-color TOPO U.S. mapping for at-a-glance navigation and location reference – so you can beat yesterday, and be sure of getting back. You get advanced features such as Elevate™ wrist heart rate technology¹, built-in activity profiles, performance metrics and training status readings that show the fitness-enhancing effects of your workout. Smart notifications² help you stay in touch on the go. Plus, QuickFit™ bands let you tailor the look to any lifestyle or activity – no tools required. Go from workplace to workout without breaking stride.
Rugged Endurance, Elegant Style
The fēnix 5X multisport watch features a protective PVD-coated stainless steel bezel and buttons and a reinforced housing for extra durability. Each watch is water-rated to 100 meters and features advanced GPS and GLONASS satellite reception to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone. You can count on long battery life in each mode of operation (varies by model, depending on settings). A bright, high-resolution, full-color Garmin Chroma Display™ with LED backlighting assures great readability in all ambient conditions – from harsh daylight to dim lighting. Transflective technology that reflects and transmits light at the same time enables the watch face to become even more readable under intense sunlight. Sapphire editions feature a scratch-resistant sapphire lens and are also Wi-Fi®-enabled so your watch can connect to your wireless network and automatically send activity uploads for sharing on Garmin Connect.
Wrist-based Heart Rate¹
On your wrist, Elevate wrist heart rate technology lets you monitor your heart rate without wearing a chest strap. In addition to counting steps and monitoring sleep, the watch uses heart rate to provide calories burned information and quantify the intensity of your fitness activities.
A Full-color Roadmap to Success
Whether you’re in the city or on the trail, an array of fēnix 5X on-watch mapping and navigation features help keep you oriented and on-course at a glance.
- Full-color TOPO U.S. mapping that comes preloaded; map data is optimized for at-a-glance navigation and location tracking on your wrist
- Round-trip Run and Round-trip Ride routing options give runners and cyclists the ability to enter a distance they want to travel and have the watch suggest appropriate courses
- Easy-to-read guidance cues provide banners on the display that show upcoming turns
- Around Me map mode displays locations nearby in a simplified graphical interface that increases awareness and ease when navigating in unfamiliar environments
- Data overlays on the map highlight key information so you don’t have to switch screens while in an activity
- GroupTrack allows you to keep tabs on your buddies for adventures such as skiing; LiveTrack allows friends to follow your adventures in real time²
Advanced Performance Metrics
Every fēnix 5 series watch is packed with sophisticated training features to help monitor your form and performance³. Enhanced readouts for Training Status and Training Effect show aerobic and anaerobic benefits of your workout – so you can see how your workouts are paying off and even compare results with your peers. The VO2 max estimator crunches data, including your running speed, beats per minute and heart rate variability, to estimate the maximum volume of oxygen you can consume per minute. And other fitness metrics include recovery advisor with a recovery timer and recovery check, plus a race predictor that estimates your ideal finish time based on your current VO2 max number.
Advanced Running Dynamics
Now you can go further with your running data. Garmin training features that tap into extended physiological metrics and advanced running dynamics¹ can help improve your form and overall performance. These include:
- Performance condition: After running for 6-20 minutes, fēnix 5 compares your real-time condition to your average fitness levels
- Lactate threshold: Through analysis of your pace and heart rate, fēnix 5 estimates the point where your muscles start to rapidly fatigue
- Cadence — number of steps per minute
- Stride length — shows your stride length in real time
Want more? By pairing your watch with a compatible heart rate chest strap such as the HRM-Run™, you can access these additional fēnix 5 metrics³:
- Vertical oscillation and ratio — the degree of 'bounce' in your running motion and the benefit ratio to stride length
- Ground contact time and balance — shows how much time, in the running motion, your foot is on the ground rather than in flight and lets you check your running symmetry
- Stress score: fēnix 5 measures your heart rate variability while standing still, for 3 minutes, to provide you with an estimated stress level. The scale of this is 1 to 100; low scores indicate lower stress levels
Swim Profiles, Skiing, Paddle Sports, Golf and More
Beyond their running functions, fenix 5 watches also offer special feature sets to help with swim training, skiing, golfing and paddle sports, including stand-up paddle boarding and rowing. For swimmers, the device tracks your distance, pace, stroke count and more. Ski/Board mode puts speed, distance, vertical drop and an automatic run counter (with Auto Pause for the lift line) and more at your fingertips. The feature set for paddle sports includes stroke count, stroke rate and even distance per stroke. Golf mode gives you yardage to the front, back and middle of the green for any single course you’ve downloaded from Garmin Connect – and also adds enhancements such as stat tracking (fairways hit, etc.), Green View, AutoShot detection and auto measure.
Navigate the Great Outdoors, Your Way
Every fēnix 5 model provides comprehensive navigation and tracking to guide you on and off the beaten path using GPS plus ABC (altimeter, barometer and compass) sensor capabilities. The built-in altimeter provides elevation data to accurately monitor ascent and descent, while the barometer can be used to predict weather changes by showing short-term trends in air pressure. The 3-axis electronic compass keeps your bearing, whether you’re moving or not. In addition, there’s an internal gyroscope to help improve position accuracy (and battery life) in UltraTrac mode.
So Many Ways to Stay Connected
Smart notifications² through fēnix 5 let you receive emails, texts and alerts right on your watch – whether you're on the trail, on the golf course or simply away from your desk. Other connected features include automatic uploads to our Garmin Connect online fitness community, live tracking and social media sharing through our free Garmin Connect and Garmin Connect™ Mobile applications.
Custom Apps and Watch Faces
You can customize any fēnix 5 series watch with free downloads from our Connect IQ store. Change your watch face, add data fields or get apps and widgets for information at a glance.
Garmin is continually working with top companies and developers to build partnerships that add even more value to your fēnix multisport watch. Names such as Uber, Strava, AccuWeather and many others offer apps and enhancements that let you tailor your fēnix 5 to fit your lifestyle in more ways than ever.
Wear Your Personality on Your Sleeve
You can also download the free Garmin Face It™ watch face app to customize your fēnix with any photo from your smartphone. Just download the app, choose an image from your photo library, adjust the style for time and set it as your watch’s face. Whether it’s a scenic view from your last hike or a picture of your new puppy, with Garmin you can add personality to your watch that’s uniquely you.
²When paired with a compatible smartphone; see Garmin.com/BLE
³When paired with heart rate monitor; included with some models, sold separately on others
4Activity Tracking Accuracy
Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. App Store is a trademark of Apple Inc. Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.
Physical & Performance
Physical dimensions 2.0” x 2.0” x 0.7” (51.0 x 51.0 x 17.5 mm) Display size 1.2” (30.5 mm) diameter Display resolution 240 x 240 pixels; sunlight-visible, always-on, low power, colorful display Color display Negative mode display Weight
With silicone band: 3.5 oz (98.0 g)
Battery Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery life Up to 12 days in smartwatch mode (depending on settings), up to 20 hours in GPS mode, and up to 50 hours in UltraTrac battery saver mode Water rating 10 ATM GPS-enabled GLONASS High-sensitivity receiver Barometric altimeter Electronic compass Smart notifications (displays email, text and other alerts when paired with your compatible phone) Vibration alert Music control Find my phone VIRB® control Watch functions Time of day (12/24h), calendar (day/date), daily alarm, stop watch, timer, sunrise/sunset alerts
Maps & Memory
Built-in memory 12 GB Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest) Waypoints/favorites/locations 1,000 Routes 50 Track log 10,000 points; 100 saved tracks
Virtual Pacer™ (compares current pace to target) V02 max estimate Recovery advisor Race predictor Running dynamics Accelerometer (calculates distance for indoor workouts, without need for a foot pod) Personal records
Compatible with Vector™ Multiple bike profiles Bike speed/cadence sensor Yes (optional)
Heart rate monitor yes_(wrist_based) Virtual Partner® (train against a digital person) Virtual Racer™/Race an Activity (compete against other activities) Courses Auto Pause® (pauses and resumes timer based on speed) Auto Lap® (automatically starts a new lap) Auto Scroll (cycles through data pages during an activity) Multi-sport (changes sport mode with a press of a button and/or with activity still in progress) Auto multisport (switch sport modes with 1 button press) Advanced workouts (create custom workouts) Pace alert (triggers alarm if you vary from preset pace) Time/distance alert (triggers alarm when you reach goal) Interval training (set up exercise and rest intervals) Heart rate-based calorie computation Calculates calories burned Aerobic Training Effect (measures impact of an activity on your fitness) Customizable screen(s) Power meter compatible (displays power data from compatible 3rd party ANT+™-enabled power meters)
Pool swim metrics (lengths, distance, pace, stroke count/rate, calories) Stroke type identification (e.g. freestyle) Open water swim metrics (distance, pace, stroke count/rate, calories) Swim workouts
Measures shot distance (calculates exact yardage for shots from anywhere on course) Yardage to F/M/B (distance to front, middle and back of green) Yardage to layups/doglegs Digital scorecard
Hunt/fish calendar Sun and moon information Area calculation
Activity Tracking Features
Step counter Auto goal (learns your activity level and assigns a daily step goal) Move bar (displays on device after a period of inactivity; walk for a couple of minutes to reset it) Sleep monitoring (monitors total sleep and periods of movement or restful sleep)
Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data) Automatic sync (automatically transfers data to Garmin Connect)
- Maps: Preloaded topographic and cycling maps, plus more than 40,000 golf courses around the world
- Connect IQ™ app support: Yes (watch faces, data fields, widgets and apps)
- EXO™ antenna (GPS/GLONASS): Yes
- Wi-Fi®: Yes (Sapphire versions only)
- ANT+®: Yes (all versions)
- Bluetooth®: Low Energy (all versions)
- Round Trip Run: Yes
- Lactate Threshold: Yes
- Pre-loaded Garmin cycling maps: Yes
- Round Trip Ride: Yes
- Training Effect (measures impact of an activity on your aerobic & anaerobic fitness): Yes
- Training Load: Yes
- Training Status: Yes
- Weather alerts: Yes
- UltraTrac: Yes
- tempe™ sensor support: Yes
- TracBack: Yes
- Ski features: Yes
- Physiological measurements: Yes
- SUP/Rowing: Yes
- Foot pod: yes (optional)
What's in the box?
- fēnix 5X Sapphire
- Charging/data cable
One year (Singapore)